A fun recipe for all ages, that’s ideal outside on an open fire. Go foraging for sticks, build a fire and enjoy a warm damper filled with your favourite sweet treat!
80g Golden Caster Sugar
200ml Cold Water
Chocolate Spread and Strawberry Jam (to serve)
1. Find 8 sticks about 50cm long and peel the bark off half of the stick. Alternatively you can cover half of the stick with tin foil.
2. Measure the ﬂour into a large bowl, add the sugar and mix.
3. Add the water to the ﬂour and mix. Lightly knead the dough until it all comes together then leave for 10 minutes.
4. Cut the mixture into two, then cut each piece into four so that you have eight pieces.
5. Take a piece of dough and roll it into a sausage shape about 27 cms in length. Wrap the dough around the stick, carefully pressing the ends into the stick so it doesn’t fall off.
6. Cook the dampers over the campﬁre for 12 minutes, turning them so that they turn golden brown all over. The dough should feel solid when you carefully tap it.
7. Wrap a napkin around the damper and twist, pull off the stick.
8. Fill the damper with chocolate spread or jam.
Be careful when cooking over the ﬁre and always supervise children.