Chetna Makan’s Blackberry Meringue Cake with Berry Sauce
150g Unsalted Softened Butter
150g Caster Sugar
4 Large Egg Yolks
150g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
25g Ground Almonds
2 tbsp Milk
1 tsp Baking Powder
100g Blackberries (sliced into small pieces)
FOR THE MERINGUE
4 Large Egg Whites
200g Caster Sugar
50g Flaked Almonds
FOR THE CREAM
300g Double Cream
2 tbsp Caster Sugar
FOR THE BERRY SAUCE
300g Mixed Berries (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry)
100g Caster Sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4). Grease and line 2 x 8 inch round cake tins with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl mix all the cake ingredients, except for berries and whisk for 2 minutes until the mixture turns light and fluffy. Add the blackberry pieces to it and fold them in. Divide the mixture into the 2 prepared tins.
3. In another clean bowl quickly whisk the egg whites until fluffy and stiff. Slowly add the sugar and whisk till the meringue is glossy and light. Pour this over the 2 cake mixes and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked. Leave it aside to cool completely.
4. In a pan combine all the berries, sugar and mix well. Cook on low heat for 7-10 minutes and leave aside to cool.
5. Whisk the cream and sugar in a small bowl until thick and the right consistency. Place one cake on the serving plate and spread the cream on top. Place the other cake on top and spoon the compote over the meringue. Serve it fresh.