Chetna Makan’s Cardamom and Chocolate Rolls
A real, indulgent treat for all the family.
300g Carr’s Strong White Flour
20g Caster Sugar
10 Cardamom Pods (peeled and seeds crushed to powder)
60g Unsalted Softened Butter
1 Large Egg
FOR THE FILLING
150g Melted Dark Chocolate
70g Dark Brown Sugar
70g Toasted Chopped Hazelnuts"
100g Caster Sugar
1. In a bowl mix all the bread ingredients, then slowly add the milk and bring it all together to form a soft dough (you might not need all the milk or need a bit more). Knead the dough either by hand or in a stand mix with a dough hook for 7-8 minutes until smooth.
2. Leave the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with cling film. Let it prove for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
3. Once the dough has doubled take it out on the work surface, knock it and knead for a few seconds. Roughly divide the dough into 12 portions.
4. In a bowl combine the melted chocolate with sugar and hazelnuts and mix well. Roll out each portion of the dough into a circle roughly 3-4 inches. Spread one spoonful of the chocolate mix and roll the dough like a swiss roll. Take a sharp knife and cut the roll lengthwise into 2, keeping the top intact. Twist the 2 parts and roll it into a bun shape.
5. Place the prepared rolls on a lightly floured baking tray. Cover with cling film and leave to prove for 30-40 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4). Once the rolls are ready brush with some beaten egg and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.