Chetna Makan’s Cardamom and Chocolate RollsA real, indulgent treat for all the family.
300g Carr’s Strong White Flour
20g Caster Sugar
10 Cardamom Pods (peeled and seeds crushed to powder)
60g Unsalted Softened Butter
1 Large Egg
FOR THE FILLING
150g Melted Dark Chocolate
70g Dark Brown Sugar
70g Toasted Chopped Hazelnuts"
100g Caster Sugar
1. In a bowl mix all the bread ingredients, then slowly add the milk and bring it all together to form a soft dough (you might not need all the milk or need a bit more). Knead the dough either by hand or in a stand mix with a dough hook for 7-8 minutes until smooth.
2. Leave the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with cling film. Let it prove for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
3. Once the dough has doubled take it out on the work surface, knock it and knead for a few seconds. Roughly divide the dough into 12 portions.
4. In a bowl combine the melted chocolate with sugar and hazelnuts and mix well. Roll out each portion of the dough into a circle roughly 3-4 inches. Spread one spoonful of the chocolate mix and roll the dough like a swiss roll. Take a sharp knife and cut the roll lengthwise into 2, keeping the top intact. Twist the 2 parts and roll it into a bun shape.
5. Place the prepared rolls on a lightly floured baking tray. Cover with cling film and leave to prove for 30-40 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4). Once the rolls are ready brush with some beaten egg and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.