Chetna Makan’s Pear and Chocolate CakePears and chocolate, what’s not to like! Try as a dessert served with ice cream or cream.
200g Unsalted Butter (softened)
200g Caster Sugar
200g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
25g Ground Almonds
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
4 Large Eggs
2 tbsp Milk
2 Pears (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
FOR THE GANACHE
75ml Double Cream
65g Dark Chocolate (chopped into small pieces)
1 tsp Unsalted Butter (softened)
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚ C (Fan 160˚C, Gas Mark 4). Grease and line a 23 cm cake tin with baking parchment.
2. In a bowl mix all the cake ingredients together (excluding the pear) and whisk for 2 minutes until pale and fluffy. Tip in the chopped pear pieces and fold it all in. Pour the mix into the prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
3. Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin.
4. In a pan heat the double cream. When it is close to boiling take it off the heat and pour it over the chocolate pieces in a bowl. Stir the mix until the chocolate has melted and cooled down a bit. Add the butter to this and mix again.
5. Once the cake has cooled completely pour the ganache over the cake and serve.