Chetna Makan’s Red Onion Plaited Loaf
A lovely plaited bread packed with flavour.
10g Fast Action Dried Yeast
35g Softened Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
6 Red Onions
Handful of Onion Seeds
1. In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, yeast and butter. Slowly add the water and bring in all together into a dough. You might not need all the water or need a bit more. Place it on a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth or use a stand mixer with a dough hook.
2. Leave it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with cling film. Leave it to prove for an hour or until doubled in size.
3. While the dough is proving, heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions on low to medium heat for 10 minutes until soft and golden. Leave them aside to cool.
4. Once risen place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knock out all the air from the dough. Divide the dough into 3 portions and roll out each portion into an oblong shape. Spread one third of the onion mix in the centre of the dough and then fold the sides and seal it. Now taking all three rolls, shape it into a braid. Leave the shaped loaf on a lightly floured baking tray and cover with oiled cling film. Let it prove for an hour or until doubled in size. Brush some water on the braid and sprinkle the seeds on top.
5. Heat the oven to 200°C (Fan 180°C, Gas Mark 6). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done. Once baked leave on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Goes great with… Roasted Spicy Parsnip & Carrot Soup
5. Uncover and bake in a preheated oven at 230°C (Fan 210°C, Gas Mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
Remove loaf from tin and allow to cool before slicing and enjoying!
METHOD FOR BREADMAKERS
Follow the manufacturers’ guidelines on the order of liquid/dry ingredients and set your machine to the basic/normal setting, large loaf, medium crust.
goes great with… Thick & Creamy Mushroom Soup