Cumbrian Whigg BreadWith the unique taste of Caraway, this loaf is a great pairing for many ingredients, including beans on toast!
1 tbsp Caraway Seeds
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
7g sachet of Fast Action Dried Yeast
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Mix in the caraway seeds and sugar.
2. Add the salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other side. After making a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the milk (room temperature).
3. With your hand mix the ingredients using a ‘claw’ action. Add a little water as needed to form a soft dough.
4. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until it becomes stretchy and smooth. Place back into the bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for an hour.
5. Take out and fold the dough over on itself a few times to knock out all the air. Place in a 2lb loaf tin and leave for a further hour or until it has risen to double its size.
6. Place in a preheated oven at 200˚C (Fan 180ºC, Gas Mark 6) for 25 minutes.