Date & Toffee Hot Cross Loaf or Mini Hot Cross Buns
A great alternative to Hot Cross Buns, ideal toasted for Easter breakfast.
FOR THE LOAF
1lb Carr’s Plain Flour
2x7g sachets of Fast Action Dried Yeast
A level teaspoon Salt
50g Caster Sugar
50g Butter (room temperature)
100g Dates (chopped)
50g Toffee Chunks
FOR THE CROSS
75g Carr’s Plain Four
FOR THE GLAZE
1. Mini hot cross buns – perfect for little mouths!Put all the ingredients except the dates and toffee, into your bread maker following the maker’s instructions and follow for raisin dough. If you don’t have a nut dispenser add the dates and toffee when it beeps.
2. Take out of bread maker and form into approx 15 balls for individual buns, or shape and place into one large loaf tin, 22cm x 12cm.
3. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 180 ˚C (Fan 160˚C, Gas Mark 4). To make the cross mix the ﬂour and water and pipe a cross on top of the uncooked buns or loaf. Bake for approx 40 mins.
5. To make the glaze warm the jam with some water in a pan until softened Brush the top of the buns or loaf with the glaze when they come out of the oven. Let the loaf cool slightly in the tin, before turning out.