Delicious Figgy Pudding
Create a family tradition and make this Delicious Figgy Pudding ahead of time, letting everyone have a stir.
110g White Breadcrumbs
1 tsp Mixed Spice
¼ tsp Fresh Ground Nutmeg
¼ tsp Cinnamon
225g Soft Brown Sugar
500g Dried Mixed Fruit (Figs, Raisins, Sultanas, Currants, Cranberries)
1 Apple (peeled and grated)
Zest of one lemon
2 x Large Eggs
3 x tsp Brandy
1. Grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin, (you can use a plastic one with a lid).
2. In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients, mix together then add the dried fruit, followed by the apple and lemon zest.
3. In a separate bowl mix the Brandy, Guinness and whisk in the eggs.
4. Pour over the cake mix and stir thoroughly, traditionally everyone in the family should gather round and take turns stirring the pudding whilst making a wish.
5. The mixture should be a sloppy consistency, you can now cover and leave overnight.
6. Put the mixture in the pudding bowl with a double sheet of greaseproof paper and foil on top, tie with string and tie a piece over the top to use as a handle.
7. Place in a saucepan of simmering water and steam for 8 hours.
8. On Christmas day place pudding back in the pan and steam for approx. 2 hours.