Easter Simnel MuffinsAn alternative to Simnel cake these individual buns are great for Easter gatherings.
1 Orange, zest and juice
175g Butter, softened
175g Golden Caster Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
300g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
1½ tsp Mixed Spice
½ tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
5 tbsp Milk
200g Icing Sugar
1 Lemon, juice
Mini Chocolate Eggs
1. Tip the fruit into a bowl, add the orange zest and juice and leave to soak for 1 hour.
2. Line 12 deep muffin tins with muffin cases. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC/Gas 4.
3. Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, mixed spice, nutmeg and milk until light and fluffy, then stir the fruit in well.
4. Cut 100g of marzipan into small pieces and stir into the cake mix.
5. Divide the mix evenly between the muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen, golden and firm to touch. Leave to cool.
6. Beat together the icing sugar and lemon juice to make icing thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
7. With the remaining marzipan, make 12 discs to fit on top of each muffin. Stick onto the top of each muffin with a little bit of icing and toast (brown off), either using a blow torch or placing under a hot grill, until golden.
8. Allow the marzipan to cool then drizzle the icing over the top, add a cluster of eggs and leave to set.