Elderflower and Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake
A light and moist cake with flavours of summer!
175g Softened Butter
175g Caster Sugar
175g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
FOR THE LEMON DRIZZLE
4 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
4 tbsp Caster Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon
FOR THE FILLING
FOR THE ICING
55g Icing Sugar
Elderflower Cordial and Lemon Juice ( just enough to mix with the icing sugar)
1. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with a strip of baking parchment.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4).
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixer, add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Spoon into the loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven for 50 mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
5. Make the drizzle by placing the sugar, cordial and lemon juice in a pan and melt over a low heat until dissolved into a syrup.
6. Remove cake from the oven and prick all over with the skewer, whilst still warm drizzle over the syrup and leave to cool in the tin.
7. Once cool remove from the tin and slice the loaf in half, spread one side with the lemon curd and replace the top.
8. Decorate by mixing the icing sugar with a small amount of cordial and lemon juice until smooth and has a spreading consistency. Finish with a little lemon zest.
Slice and eat!