Hearty Vegetable Crumble
Packed full of your favourite vegetables this versatile meal can be changed depending on what’s in season.
Approx 600g mixed vegetables…
1 Onion (chopped)
200g Chestnut Mushrooms (quartered)
1 Butternut Squash (chopped into small chunks)
FOR THE SAUCE
1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
50g Carr’s Plain Flour
2 tsp Sage
FOR THE CRUMBLE
200g Carr’s Wholemeal or Plain Flour
100g Butter (chopped into pieces)
50g Grated Cheese
30g Porridge Oats
Handful of Sunflower Seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C (Fan 400˚C, Gas Mark 6).
2. First make the crumble by putting the flour into a large bowl and adding the butter. Using your fingers ‘rub’ together the ingredients until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the oats, cheese and sunflower seeds. Leave to one side.
3. In a large pan fry the onion until soft in a little butter, then add all other vegetables and the sage. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
4. In a small pan, heat the butter until melted and then add the crushed garlic. Add the flour and keep stirring for a minute, making sure it doesn’t burn. Slowly add the milk a little at a time, while constantly stirring. The sauce will thicken.
5. Add the sauce to the vegetables then cook for a further 15mins on a low heat.
6. Place in an oven proof dish and then evenly sprinkle the crumble on top. Cook for 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown.
7. This recipe is very versatile so you can try different vegetables depending on the season.