Hedgerow Fruit Pasties
Go foraging for some fresh berries or pop to the shops to create these sweet little pasties. Tasty on their own or with ice-cream.
260g Carr's Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
125g Unsalted Butter (chilled and cut into small cubes)
80g Icing Sugar
1 Large Egg (beaten)
A splash of Milk
Lemon or Orange Zest (optional)
FOR THE FILLING
Approx 250g of Summer Fruits (Raspberries, Blackberries)
2 tbsp Caster Sugar
Egg and Granulated Sugar to glaze
1. Crumb together by hand the flour and butter.
2. Add the icing sugar.
3. Mix in the egg and enough milk to form a soft dough. You can add lemon or orange zest at this point if you wish. Place dough in the fridge to chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 190ºC (Fan 170°C, Gas Mark 5). Lightly grease and line a baking tray.
5. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out onto a lightly floured surface, approx 3mm thick.
6. Toss the fruits in caster sugar, depending on your taste.
7. Cut the pastry into approx. 9 circles, 15cm Dia. Place the fruit on one half of the circle, leaving enough room to seal the pastry.
8. Egg wash the edges of the pastry and fold over to form a crescent shape, press together with a fork to seal.
9. Egg wash the pastry and sprinkle with granulated sugar, place on tray and cook for approx. 20 mins or until golden. Remove from the oven to cool on a rack.
Eat while warm or wrap up in greaseproof for eating while out and about.