Large Treacle LoafA rich, dark loaf that works well with cheese and pickle. Make by hand or in a bread maker.
1½ tbsp Black Treacle
1½ tbsp Skimmed Milk Powder
1½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Fast Action Dried Yeast
1. Mix together the ﬂour, skimmed milk powder and salt. Rub in the butter and then stir in the treacle and then the yeast. Gradually mix in the water to make a soft dough.
2. Knead well on a lightly ﬂoured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape the dough and cover with a clean, damp tea towel to stop the dough drying out and leave in a warm place for about an hour to rise.
3. When it has risen, tip the dough onto a lightly ﬂoured surface and knead well for 3 minutes.
4. Shape into an oval loaf and place on a greased baking sheet, cover loosely with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for about half an hour.
5. Uncover and bake in a preheated oven at 230°C (Fan 210°C, Gas Mark 8) for 30 minutes.
6. Remove loaf from tin and allow to cool before slicing and enjoying!
Follow manufacturers’ guidelines on the order of liquid/dry ingredients and set your machine to the whole wheat/wholemeal setting, large loaf, medium crust.