Large White LoafA good everyday loaf, great for all the family.
1 tsp Fast Action Dried Yeast
1½ tsp Salt
340ml Water (lukewarm)
1. Mix together the flour and salt. Rub in the butter and then stir in the yeast. Gradually mix in the water to make a soft dough.
2. Knead well on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape the dough and cover with a clean, damp tea towel to stop the dough drying out and leave in a warm place for about an hour to rise.
3. When it has risen, tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 3 minutes.
4. Place in a greased 1½ / 2lb loaf tin, cover loosely with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for about half an hour.
5. Uncover and bake in a preheated oven at 230°C (Fan 210°C, Gas Mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
6. Remove loaf from tin and allow to cool before slicing and enjoying!
METHOD FOR BREADMAKERS
Follow the manufacturers’ guidelines on the order of liquid/dry ingredients and set your machine to the basic/normal setting, large loaf, medium crust.