Large Wholemeal Loaf
Make this large healthy loaf in a breadmaker or by hand. Great for all the family.
500g Carr’s Wholemeal Flour
1 tbsp Sugar
1½ tbsp Skimmed Milk Powder
1½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Fast Action Dried Yeast
METHOD BY HAND
1. Mix together the flour, sugar, skimmed milk powder and salt. Rub in the butter and then stir in the yeast. Gradually mix in the water to make a soft dough.
2. Knead well on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape the dough and cover with a clean, damp tea towel to stop the dough drying out and leave in a warm place for about an hour to rise.
3. When it has risen, tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 3 minutes.
4. Place in a greased 1½ / 2lb loaf tin, cover loosely with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for about half an hour.
5. Uncover and bake in a preheated oven at 230°C (Fan 210°C, Gas Mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
6. Remove loaf from tin and allow to cool before slicing and enjoying!
METHOD FOR BREADMAKERS
Follow manufacturers’ guidelines on the order of liquid/dry ingredients and set your machine to the whole wheat/wholemeal setting, large loaf, medium crust.