Picnic Pasties with cheese, apple and red onion filling.
Perfect for picnics! These little pasties can be eaten hot or cold, so ideal for a picnic or outdoors. Why not experiment and try different fillings.
125g Carr’s Strong White Flour
6 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Egg (beaten, to glaze)
FOR THE FILLING
2 Red Onions
1 clove of Garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp Butter
2 Eating Apples (skin on and diced)
125g Crumbly Lancashire Cheese
1 tsp Brown Sugar
1. Sift the ﬂours together, then tip the bran left back into the bowl, add a pinch of salt. Add 5 tbsp of cold water to the oil and mix with the ﬂour to form a dough. Knead lightly, then wrap in cling ﬁlm and leave to rest whilst preparing the ﬁlling.
2. Grease and line two baking sheets.
3. Cut the onions in half and slice, cook slowly in a frying pan with the butter. When the onions are translucent add the sugar, garlic and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until very soft.
4. Add the apples to the pan and cook for a few minutes until coated in all the juices and softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Roll out the pastry on a ﬂoured surface until 3mm thick. Using an 11cm pastry cutter cut out approx 12 discs.
6. Add the crumbled cheese to the onion mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Spoon a tablespoon of mixture in the centre of the pastry disk, brush the edges with beaten egg and fold the pastry over to form a crescent shape. Pinch the pastry together and brush with egg and place on a prepared baking sheet. Leave the pasties to rest for approx 45 minutes before baking in the oven at 180°C (Fan 160°C, Gas Mark 4) for 15 minutes.
Cool before serving, and serve with a little pickle of your choice.