Poppy Seed BagelsHome-made Bagels with Poppy Seed topping
2½ tsp fast action dried yeast
1½ tbsp caster sugar
500g Carrs Breadmaker Strong White Flour
1½ tsp salt
2 litres water, extra
1 tbsp sugar, extra
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1. Follow the manufacturers’ instructions regarding the order of liquid/dry ingredients, and set your machine to the dough/pizza setting.
2. When the dough cycle is complete, turn the dough out and quickly knead on a floured surface.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C, 350F, gas mark 4.
4. Combine the extra water and remaining sugar in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
5. Brush a baking tray with oil. Divide the dough into ten even portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Push a lightly floured finger through the middle of the ball to create a hole, pulling until the hole is about 5cm. Pat the ball gently to flatten. Place on the greased baking tray, cover with oiled cling film and set aside for 10 minutes to rise.
6. Remove the cling film and add 3-4 of the bagels to the simmering water and cook for 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to turn and cook for a further minute. Remove with slotted spoon and replace on the oiled baking tray.
7. Repeat in 2 more batches with remaining bagels.
8. Whisk the egg yolk and milk together in a small bowl. Brush the mixture evenly over each bagel and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.