An impressive bake that would look stunning at a party.
300ml Water (warm)
640g Carr's Plain Flour
65g White Sugar
1½ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
65g Bicarbonate of Soda
600ml Water (hot)
1. Mix the ﬂour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Next mix in the yeast and oil, then gradually add the water to create a sticky dough (you may not need all the water).
2. Knead the dough until smooth, about 10 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough, turning to coat with oil. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until double in size.
3. Pre heat oven to 230ºC (Fan 210ºC, Gas Mark 8). Grease a baking sheet.
4. Dissolve the Bicarbonate of soda in the 600ml of hot water and set aside.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly ﬂoured board and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a knot. Once half of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the bicarbonate mixture and place on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.
To serve sprinkle with cinnamon or icing sugar.
5. Uncover and bake in a preheated oven at 230°C (Fan 210°C, Gas Mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
Remove loaf from the tin and allow to cool before slicing and enjoying!
METHOD FOR BREADMAKERS
Follow the manufacturers’ guidelines on the order of liquid/dry ingredients and set your machine to the basic/normal setting, large loaf, medium crust.
goes great with… Thick & Creamy Mushroom Soup