Red Leicester Cheese Scones
with Red Fox Red Leicester
1 tsp baking powder
100g cold butter, cubed
200g Red Fox Red Leicester, grated
250ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the butter and rub it into flour with your fingertips until a sandy texture is achieved.
- Gently fold in most of the cheese, reserving a little for sprinkling on top.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk.
- Bring together with a fork, before getting your hands in the bowl to form a dough, being careful not to overwork it.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press or roll it out until a 1 inch thickness is achieved.
- Use a cutter to cutter to cut out the scones, placing them on a lined baking tray as you go.
- Bring the offcuts together and re-roll until you can’t get anymore out of it.
- Brush the scones with eggwash and top each one with a little grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins until risen and golden and when tapped on the bottom, sound hollow.