Spooky Spicy Biscuits
Use this recipe to create spooky Halloween shaped biscuits or change your cutters and create spicy biscuits for any occasion.
85g Golden Syrup
3 tsp Ground Ginger
½ tsp Mixed Spice
350g Carr’s Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 egg (lightly beaten)
Icing Pens or an Icing Bag & Icing Sugar
Any gory or goolish decorations!
1. Over a low heat, melt the sugar, golden syrup and butter in a small pan. Set to one side, then in a large bowl, mix the spices and flour together. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in 1tsp of cold water. Make a well in the flour and tip in the melted butter mixture, the bicarbonate and the egg. Stir well until all the ingredients are combined and create a smooth dough.
2. When cool, wrap in cling film and put in the fridge to cool for around an hour or until firm enough to roll out.
3. Preheat the oven to 190˚C (170˚C Fan, Gas Mark 5). Lightly sprinkle flour onto a clean work surface and knead the dough for a few seconds. Cut the dough into two pieces and roll out one half until aprox.3-5mm thick.
4. Cut out your chosen shapes using cookie cutters and lay onto a lightly greased baking tray. Make sure you leave room for your biscuits to grow in size! When all the dough is used up, repeat with the remaining dough or keep in the fridge for upto a week.
5. Bake for 12-15mins or until they are a dark golden colour.
6. Transfer to a cooling rack to harden up before decorating. Decorate with icing as we have or let your imagination run wild with spooky ideas!