Use our easy to follow the recipe to create a classic sponge cake. Get creative and fill with different jams or curds and decorate with fruit and icing sugar.
225g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
225g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
FOR THE FILLING
1 punnet of Raspberries
175ml Double Cream (lightly whipped)
Icing Sugar (for dusting)
1. Lightly grease 2 loose-bottomed 20cm/8″ sandwich tins and line the bases with a double layer of non-stick baking parchment.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (Fan 160ºC, Gas Mark 4).
3. Place the softened butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and cream until white and fluffy.
4 .Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Gradually mix the eggs into the creamed mixture.
5. Sift half the flour, gently fold into the mixture with a metal spoon and repeat until all the flour is completely incorporated.
6. Divide the mixture evenly between the lined sandwich tins and level the surface with the back of a wet spoon or plastic spatula.
7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until well risen and golden. The tops of the cakes should spring back when ready.
8. Remove from the tins and allow to cool.
9. Fill with lightly whipped cream and raspberries. Dust the top with icing sugar before enjoying!