Carr's Plain & Self-Raising Flour Launch in Tesco Click Here

Home Baking Trade
Sustainability… …and looking after the environment matters,
we have a clear strategy for the future.

Carr’s source English wheat from local farmers where possible and carefully blend with other wheats to produce flour of the finest quality.  At Maldon 70% of the wheat comes from within a 30 miles radius of the mill. At Kirkcaldy 70% of the wheat is delivered by boat  and the remaining 30% of wheat is sourced locally from Scotland and North East England.  This local commitment helps to keep food miles to a minimum. Many of the farmers that supply Carr’s have been farming families for generations – indeed these farmers have been supplying Carr’s for generations. 


We have a strong environmental ethos and currently operate our vehicles with the eco-friendly Euro 6 engines, 6 now being the cleanest engine in the market. 

Wheat is also delivered by ship into the ports next to the mills in Kirkcaldy and Silloth. At Silloth, a single ship can deliver up to 3500 tonnes of wheat. This is the equivalent of 120 lorry loads of wheat. This method of transporting wheat, has a massive environmental benefit, as it significantly reduces road traffic a large source of pollution. At Silloth 50% of the wheat comes via boat and at Kirkcaldy 70% of the wheat is delivered by boat.

Our newest mill was built at Kirkcaldy in 2013 and as part of its efficiency, the temperature and pressure within the mill building is controlled through an integrated management system. Heat that is generated by the milling process recovered using heat exchangers and then used to warm air that is re-circulated within the mill building. The latest energy efficiency technology is utilised which include variable speed drives on all main motors. 


We try and keep our waste to an absolute minimum and typically less than 0.08% of our production ends up in landfill as waste. During the milling process, a co-product is bran. We aim to minimise wastage as much as possible. The bran produced is added into wholemeal and brown flours, inclusions into breakfast cereals or just food-grade bran. The remainder is not wasted and will be sold on and turned into animal feed  to minimize waste.

Carr’s flour is packed into bags and paper sacks that have been produced in the UK, using paper sourced from renewable forests. All our packaging can be recycled. All of our bagged deliveries are made on reuseable wooden pallets.
A large amount of flour for trade is delivered in bulk tankers where no packaging is required.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Carrs Flour Mills, East Bridge, Kirkcaldy, Fife KY1 2SR

Registered in England number 00480341 • © Carr's Flour Mills 2024 • All Rights Reserved
Hosted by Grizzly